Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Those push ups are gonna kill me...

Seriously.

I did 5 more than last week, bringing my total up to an astounding 10.

No, I'm not kidding. I'm proud of the fact that I did 10 (which was 5 more than I could do last week.)

These aren't just basic push ups by the way.

For those of you familiar with Yoga, you start in the Downward Dog position. From there, move to what is basically the Cobra Pose and from THERE, using only your arms.. you go backwards reversing the position until you are back in Downward Dog.

It works EVERY muscle in your arms, shoulders, and back.

and according to the warm-up routine I've been putting myself through, I should be able to do 30 of them.

*dies*

The rest of the warm up consists of:
* 100 sit ups (I can do all of those! woot!)
* 50 leg lifts ( I can do all of those too! double woot!)
* 30 Dragon trunk twists (a limbering stretching routine)
* 30 Buddah pours the wine (low horse-stance; arms straight up in the air like you were holding a giant bowl, slowly tilt side to side, keeping arms up as if you were "pouring wine" out of the bowl.) GREAT oblique muscle workout.
* 20 Snake arms (20 each arm, each way... hold arm out from your side, palm parallel to the floor. Move hand and arm in a circular motion, keeping palm facing flat to the floor the whole time. The do it in the opposite direction)
* 30 leaps (I can't do these well yet..jump straight up in the air, pick your knees up as high as you can to your chest, and land on the balls of your feet as lightly as possible.)
* 30 of those #$%* pushups
* 100 squats. Sort of the reverse of the leap. From standing, keep feet shoulder width apart, drop down to a crouch, and then back up to standing again. (harder than it sounds, trust me)

There are other things involved too. Lots of limbering up, stretching.. or in my case RELEARNING how to stretch.. I remember a lot of the stretches from before, but am having to reteach my body how to do them properly.

Also relearning how to BREATHE properly through a workout. Also not as easy as it sounds.

I'm hoping that I stop feeling clumsy sooner rather than later.

No comments: