Monday, August 10, 2009

So it's been a few weeks...

..and I'm still going strong. I continue to surprise myself by gaining more flexibility, capability, and stamina.

and yet.

I still have a LONG way to go.

I've got the three stances down to a level of competence that I can now concentrate on form rather than technique. On top of those three, I've learned two more that promise to stretch my muscles and my endurance to the limits.

When all is said and done, I'm going to have some killer legs. I'm just sayin'.

I learned a good way to practice these (and everything else). While standing on a pillar of some kind. Karate Kid had the right idea. Balance is first and foremost in everything kung-fu does, and if you think you have balance, try standing on a pillar (it doesn't have to be very tall, but it does have to be 8 inches diameter at most) and do those same things.

Yep. LOTS more practice.

I've also started learning punches.. Or.. in my case UNLEARNING punches. My martial arts background was from a much more rigid style, and so I'm having to learn to relax a lot more.

Sifu says "think of a hammer at the end of the whip. That's the kind of motion you want to have."

Of course, HE makes it look easy.

the sit ups and crunches and pushups have become part of an every-other day routine for me. I have solid definition in my ab muscles now, as well as the beginnings of some solid definition in my arms as well. I'm sitting at a solid 168, which is a good bit of weight lost since the beginning. My waist is three inches smaller than it was, and I'm starting to notice that my new jeans are getting baggy.

Now, if only I could get rid of that awful wobble in my tricep. Sifu showed me a few extra stretches and movements that will help tone those muscles as well. We'll see how it works.

I'm proud of what I've accomplished so far though, and look forward to pushing myself further and farther as I progress.

No comments: